Excel DB not showing up

Using Excel,SQL,Oracle, and other ODBC Compliant Databases
hutchcb
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Excel DB not showing up

Post by hutchcb »

I have setup a project with a background image, some static text, a clock and some excel DB connections. The excel DB connections show up in the design screen, and the data shows up when I refresh on the screen. This data will not show up on the screen. Thinking it was a issue wit it being behind the background, I moved it to the foreground and the data still does not show. I even changed the background color of the text box and when I upload it to the server, the changed background color of the text box shows up, but does not show the data.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ralph M

Re: Excel DB not showing up

Post by Ralph M »

Hello hutchcb,

Thank you for posting your question. If you can answer the following questions, we will be able to assist you further.

What player model are you using? SF-200 or SF-100?
Is Noventri Suite and Noventri Server installed on the same machine or on different machines?

From what it sounds like, Noventri Suite has access to the file but Noventri Server does not have access to it. This would explain why you can see the content in Noventri Suite but not on the screen.

Please let us know this information at your earliest convenience. Thank you again.

Kind Regards,

Ralph M
hutchcb
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by hutchcb »

It is a SF-200. The Noventri server and suite are on the same machine.
hutchcb
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by hutchcb »

Also,

The clock shows up on the TV fine. Just the DB connections dont show on the TV. They do however show on the preview.
Martin-Noventri

Post by Martin-Noventri »

Hi hutchcb,

Thanks for getting back to us!

To confirm, your databased information is showing up in Suite while in the Design Tab and can be refreshed with updated data from the Excel sheet, but it never appears on the TV, correct?

This points to a possible issue with the Excel driver. Older Excel drivers prevent more than one application from accessing Excel at the same time. This would result in the data appearing in Suite but not in Noventri Server.

"To fix this, install Microsoft's AccessDatabaseEngine.exe driver, restart Suite, then choose the following driver in your Suite project:

Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx,...)

It is important that you select this exact option as there will now be multiple excel drivers to choose from."

You can read more on the topic here.

Please let us know if this resolves your issue.

Kind Regards,
Martin
hutchcb
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by hutchcb »

I have already installed that.

Here is a update, which makes this a separate issue. I was connecting to a .xlsx on another server in my domain. I have admin rights and the system was connecting to the excel file by \\MYSERVER\dir\dir\filename.xlsx

If I copy that DB onto the local server it works fine. This means it is a permissions issue. I reconnected the DB using my username and password, but it still does not show. I even tried connecting as a mapped drive and it still has the same issue.
Sergey K

Post by Sergey K »

Hello hutchcb,

You will need to setup your Noventri Service Manager to run as an Administrator to access any files that are not on the same PC that Noventri Server is installed on. This is because the Noventri Service Manager is set to run under the Local System account by default.

The following steps will show you how to change the service to run as an Admin:
  • Open the Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, and open Services.
  • Search for Noventri Service Manager from the list of services, right-click on it, and select Properties.
  • In the Properties dialog, select the Log On tab at the top.
  • Select the radio button next to "This Account" to enable it.
  • Type in the account name and password for the service to use, then click OK at the bottom.
  • You will be notified to restart the service for the new login name to take effect, click OK to continue.
  • Right-click on Noventri Service Manager again and select Restart.
  • After the service restarts, your account name will be listed in the "Log On As" column.
  • You may now close the Services window.
After completing these steps, you will now be able to use files that are on your network in addition to the local files.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need assistance setting this up.

Kind Regards,
Sergey