Dynamic Pages - Handling No Records

Working with Text Files, Image Lists and more.
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Dynamic Pages - Handling No Records

Post by mark_anderson_us »

gpriddy wrote:
Mark, et al: I suspected an access permission issue as well. The images are in the project's media directory. The images render correctly when referenced from a non-database image region. It's only when a database image region attempts to display them that the problem appears.
I've had similar problems (just had a call with support about it a few days ago) with DB images not displaying. I usually solved it by swapping from jpg to png or vice versa (I have images in both formats). Sergey looked at the project and hinted that there may be an issue if the sequence only has one page. He suggested adding the same page to the sequence again, so it will be Page1, Page1 (assuming your page is called Page1). This would cause the same dynamic pages to display once, then a second time, then repeat vs. display once and then repeat. The net result to the viewer is the same (assuming the sequence comprises a single page). It's only been a few days since I changed the project so it's too soon to tell if it really solved the problem.
Tim R
Noventri Digital Signage Expert

Post by Tim R »

Hello Greg,

Mark is on the right track with the permissions and access when using a UNC path.

By default the Noventri Server is installed to run as a Local System Account (which would not have access to anything remote from the server PC). To change this, go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Next, find the service named "Noventri Service Manager", right click, and choose "Properties". A window will open containing the Noventri Service Manager Properties. Click the "Log On" tab, and choose the radio button beside "This account". Next, enter the user name and password for the account you use when logging into windows (or any other account that would have the necessary network access). Then, press "Apply" and "OK". Last, Right click on the service again and choose "Restart". This last step is very important as the changes do not take affect until the service is restarted.
Tim Rollins
Executive Director of Technology
Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
301-790-0103
Fax: 301-790-0173
http://www.noventri.com
David L

Post by David L »

Greg, I am also curious about which version of the software you are running.

If you are not running the latest version, there has been a new release with a bunch of bug fixes.

http://www.noventri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=205

Changelog: http://www.noventri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=275

David
gpriddy
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post by gpriddy »

The Noventri Server Service is already running under a privileged domain account, and it pulls other data and image files from the same location as the images on this page.

I downloaded and installed the latest software (2.8.77.1969). The player now reports

SOFTWARE VERSION 2.6.32.3 07-01-2013 11:49:36
FIRMWARE VERSION 4 01-26-2004 06:37:08

Suite now reports ver. 2.8.77.1969r_2.8

I also tried Mark's suggestion of inserting the page into the sequence twice, back-to-back.

Still not rendering the image if the image region points to a database. I had originally located these images on the C: drive of the PC where Suite and Server run, with the same result. The same image inserted onto the page in a static region renders correctly.
David L

Post by David L »

Greg,

Sounds like you have everything setup correctly. It should be working. The best thing to do at this time is to have somebody at Tech Support look at it with you. Not sure what we're missing.

I'll have somebody contact you.

David
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

After looking over the project we found the solution:

The image region in question was mistakenly connecting to an excel document using a mapped network drive. We fixed this by using the full UNC path to the excel file. For example:

Faulty Path:
W:\files\images\

Working Path:
\\machinename\files\images\

This is why it would work in the Suite (the logged in user has access to mapped drives), but did not work in the server (services do not have access to mapped drives).
Tim Rollins
Executive Director of Technology
Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
301-790-0103
Fax: 301-790-0173
http://www.noventri.com