Better Editing tools

Discuss the world of digital signage and offer suggestions about new features for Noventri Suite.
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Better Editing tools

Post by mark_anderson_us »

Been doing some rather complex layouts and find the editing limited (like Powerpoint 1.0 :) )

I order of priority

Change properties on multiple objects. (I have 15 text regions and have to change font 15 times - gets real tedious, real quick)
Multi-copy/paste
Align/distribute: having to spend half an hour in excel to work out coordinates of things that should be equally spaced
Need duplicate - should offset the copy, so you can easily see and select copy (preferably step and repeat)

Regards

Mark
Trent S
Noventri Digital Signage Expert

Re: Better Editing tools

Post by Trent S »

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the suggestions - all of these are great!

We have a large number of additions and great ideas from our customers in the queue. Due to the free nature of the software, we work on customer requests in the order they are received (and as fast as possible).

The good news is - some of the things that you mentioned are already in our queue, and on the way in future versions of the software.

We are actually beta testing a version right now that can already do the multi copy / paste that you mentioned. This will be included in the next version of our software, being released in April.

On that note - would you be interested in becoming a beta tester?

Regarding your third and fourth suggestions - would you mind elaborating on what you mean by Align/Distribute and Duplicate?

If by duplicate / step and repeat you mean a way to duplicate regions with position / formatter offsets every time they are pasted, we are actually beta testing this functionality now as well.

Thanks again - and please keep the suggestions coming!

Kind Regards,
Trent Semler
Art Director
Specialized Communications Corp. / Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
301-790-0103
Digital Information Display
Menu Display
Flight Board
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Post by mark_anderson_us »

Hi Trent

More than happy to be a beta tester (done it for a lot of products, as I worked for a software company)

Regarding the align distribute, it's like you have in most drawing packages and your developers have if they use visual studio. I can select a bunch of objects and say align, top, left, bottom, right, center vertical and ceter horizontal

regarding distribute. If I have 4 text regions and want them spaced evenly. I'd select all 4 and say distribute horizontal and it would make the space between each (on x axis) equal.

I pulled up one of first google matches to save typing (http://en.flossmanuals.net/inkscape/positioning-objects/align-and-distribute/)

Regarding duplicate, in most drawin packages when you use duplicate it will copy selected object(s) and paste then with an x-y offset of about (10,10). in some, if I move that and re-duplicate it will offset the 3rd copy by same distance as space between 1st and 2nd

Regarding step and repeat: if I have a text box of 100px w x 20px high and want 5 across and 5 down, I'd like to be able to say step and repeat across: 5 amount: 125px and down 5: amount 25px. this would give me a 5x5 grid with 25px horizontal spacing and 5px vertical spacing.

Let me know if you need more info

regards

Mark
Trent S

Post by Trent S »

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the additional information!

I will have someone get in touch with you about becoming a beta tester so that we can get you a beta version of the software.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Kind Regards,
Trent Semler
Art Director
Specialized Communications Corp. / Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
301-790-0103
Digital Information Display
Menu Display
Flight Board
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor