Variable No of Records from DB and Table display

Using Excel,SQL,Oracle, and other ODBC Compliant Databases
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Variable No of Records from DB and Table display

Post by mark_anderson_us »

Hi All

I need to display a variable no of records (user names) from a database/ The max no will be 30 names (could be anywhere from 20-30).

Run across 2 issues:

1. How to dispaly as 6 rows of 5 columns. I tried this:

[1:TempName]\t[2:TempName]\t[3:TempName]\t[4:TempName]\t[5:TempName]\n
[6:TempName]\t[7:TempName]\t[8:TempName]\t[9:TempName]\t[10:TempName]\n

but there's no way to set tab stops so the columns don't align. I don't want to have to 30 test boxes there and run a query 30 times. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Not enough records for place holders
If I have

[1:TempName]\t[2:TempName]\t[3:TempName]\t[4:TempName]\t[5:TempName]\n[6:TempName]

and only have 5 names in the data set, I get "[6:TempName]" in place of the missing record. Anyway way to prevent this?

Only thing I could think of is to construct HTML in my query and return that. Not sure if it would work

Regards

mark
Trent S
Noventri Digital Signage Expert
Noventri Digital Signage Expert

Re: Variable No of Records from DB and Table display

Post by Trent S »

Hello mark_anderson_us,

Thanks for the post!

Regarding your first question:

When trying to align several columns of information, we generally suggest that you make a region inside of Noventri Suite for each column. For example, you would make a tall and narrow region that would be purely for displaying your first column (it would contain [1:TempName]\n[6:TempName]) etc. Once you have the first region set up, you can copy/paste and adjust the positioning and formatters for subsequent columns of information - then just make sure all the queries are the same (so they only run once).

Regarding your second question:

While inside of Noventri Suite, the empty "[6:TempName]" will appear, it should not appear once the content is playing on an SF-100e Digital Signage Player. Noventri Suite simply displays the empty records so that you know there is a formatter there.

Let me know if these responses make sense - and I would be happy to further assist.
Trent Semler
Art Director
Specialized Communications Corp. / Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
301-790-0103
Digital Information Display
Menu Display
Flight Board