Noob here..

Discuss the world of digital signage and offer suggestions about new features for Noventri Suite.
Linksesc
Forum Visitor
Forum Visitor

Noob here..

Post by Linksesc »

Hi there, I have looked through the documentation and I cannot find a solution to my problem.

Now I may be doing things completely wrong here so please tell me if I am!

I have Noventri suite installed on my office PC, and I have Noventri Server installed on a laptop that is linked up to a flatscreen display. Is this a valid configuration?

I want to be able to edit the content on my pc, and then publish it to play on the laptop, and in turn, the display. I do not have a physical Noventri player, but I read that you can use a computer as a player. This is what I am trying to achieve.

I have synchronized the suite with the server, and set the working directory as the same one on both the suite and the server, but when I try to access the server user interface, it just comes back up with the box to set the working directory and nothing else. Also when I click Apply to set the directory, it succeeds and just does nothing else.

How do I make the laptop start playing the content? I am so confused and I haven't found any useful guide on how to work with this configuration.

Please tell me if I am trying to do something that is impossible.

Thanks in advance, I hope my post doesn't annoy anyone!

Billy
Andrew H
Noventri Digital Signage Expert

Re: Noob here..

Post by Andrew H »

Hello Billy,

Thanks for downloading and using our software.

You can use the Noventri Suite software as stand-alone digital signage software without the use of the SF-100e appliance, but there are some limitations. One of them is remote publishing, which can only work with the SF-100e appliance.

To use your laptop as a digital signage player with our Noventri Suite software, you will have to edit the content on the laptop/player and hit the play button in the Edit Sequence section in the Design tab.

Alternatively, you could edit your content from your desktop and publish the project, then use your laptop/player to load that project from the server and follow the same steps above.

To get features such as transitions between pages, database capabilities, scheduling, remote management and many others, consider using the SF-100e as your player solution.

What are the benefits?
  • Solid-State Design - No moving parts means virtually no maintenance.
  • 98% Energy Savings - Less than 4 Watts of electricity is consumed making the yearly cost of operation much less than a PC.
  • Sleek, small form factor for easy mounting behind the screen
  • Field Updatability - No more running around to each player in the field to load new software
These are just a few of the benefits that you would receive by using our SF-100e appliance. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact us at any time.

Andrew Hoffman
Vice President
Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
800-359-1858
301-790-0103
Fax: 301-790-0173
andrewh@noventri.com
Skype ID: Spec-Comm
http://www.noventri.com
http://www.noventri.com/forum
http://blog.noventri.com/
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Post by mark_anderson_us »

Andrew H wrote: To use your laptop as a digital signage player with our Noventri Suite software, you will have to edit the content on the laptop/player and hit the play button in the Edit Sequence section in the Design tab.
I'm currently testing Noventri and it looks like we'll be purchasing some players. I have a problem with refreshing contents of CSV files though. I created some test content and linked to text areas, created a sequence and then pressed play. Everything was fine. I then opened my csv files, sorted the contents of the columns alphabetically, saved in same placve and the preview is still showing the old content. In our proposed solution, managers will update a csv file and replace the current version. From what I understand, the player should always pick up the latest version, so why doesn't it do it in preview?

Also, the time never changes in preview

What am I missing? From what I read in this post, you're supposed to able to use suite as a player (we don't want to do this, but surely it should work?). I have refreshed the content in the page edit mode and I see the sorted version, so how come when I run my sequence, it shows stale content?
Trent S

Post by Trent S »

Hello mark_anderson_us,

While Noventri Suite can be used as a standalone player, Databasing is actually a feature that is only fully functional on a Noventri Digital Signage Player.

Regarding the clock not updating - the clock is actually rendered by the player itself, so you'll find that it won't update automatically inside of Noventri Suite.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,
Trent Semler
Art Director
Specialized Communications Corp. / Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
301-790-0103
Digital Information Display
Menu Display
Flight Board