Cannot connect to SF-200...

ShawDavis
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Cannot connect to SF-200...

Post by ShawDavis »

I cannot get my laptop to see the SF-200. I installed the softwares both Suite and Server. And I am trying to setup the player. Using the default IP address given by SF-200, but my laptop doesn't see it. I tested ethernet cable and it was fine. I have the SF-200 connected to the monitor and can see the resolution and default IP screen on my monitor but when I type the IP into the browser, it times out. Using Win 7 (x64) Toshiba laptop. I have also tried to ping the IP address with no results. It appears to be communicating as the indicator lights are flashing when I disable and enable the internet. Any thoughts?
Last edited by ShawDavis on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergey K

Re: Cannot connect to SF-200...

Post by Sergey K »

ShawDavis,

How do you have the SF-200 connected on your network in reference to your laptop? The player will attempt to get a DHCP address as soon as it finishes booting. If the player is not able to obtain a valid IP address on the network, the player will assign itself the default 192.168.0.190 IP address. The laptop and player must be on the same network when connecting via the LAN. If the IP address used by your laptop is different from the player (ex. laptop uses 10.0.x.x range, while the player uses 192.168.x.x range), you will not be able to connect locally.

Here is one way to access the player via the web browser on the 192.168.x.x network:

Change the IP address of the laptops LAN adapter to use a static address of 192.168.0.100
Set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
Set the getway to 192.168.0.1
Both DNS can be left blank

Save your settings, connect the player directly to the laptop using a network cable, and power on the player. The player will boot up and display 192.168.0.190 as no DHCP will be available to assign the player an IP address. Open a web browser and type in 192.168.0.190 in the address bar. You should now be able to configure the player's settings. Once the player is setup, remember to reset the laptop's static IP address back to its original settings.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,
Sergey
ShawDavis
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ShawDavis »

Ok, I was able to get into the SF-200 to adjust the settings. I set the default port and submitted the change. I verified the change before submitting and and it seem to like the change. Logged out, reset my Static IPs and I can't get it to show up in the 'Manage' tab of listed devices. Should I have unchecked the 'Enable DHCP' box when setting up the SF-200?
Sergey K

Post by Sergey K »

Hello ShawDavis,

Im glad you were able to get connected to the player. Are you looking to set the player to a static IP address or allow the network to set an IP address for the player automatically? If you are setting the address to static, you will need to remove the DHCP checkbox and type in the correct network settings. If you are just looking to just get the player connected on DHCP, entering the address of the server in the the player web config should be enough to get you connected.

We are making good progress here. The questions below should provide me with more details about your network to assist me in further troubleshooting.

1. After configuring the player, are you able to ping or access the player via web config without setting your laptop to static?
2. What IP address is the player coming up with on the display?
3. What IP address is your laptop getting when connected to the network?
4. How is your laptop and player connected on the network? (ex. player -> switch -> laptop)
5. Are you trying to set this up locally or over the internet.
6. If all the settings are correct, try disabling any firewall/anti-virus protection temporarily to see it they are blocking the port. (default 20940)

I look forward you your response. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,
Sergey
ShawDavis
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ShawDavis »

1. After configuring the player, are you able to ping or access the player via web config without setting your laptop to static?
A: It will take me to a login screen but once I have entered my password, says it can't find the page.

2. What IP address is the player coming up with on the display?
A: The default IP: 192.168.0.190

3. What IP address if your laptop getting when connected to the network?
A: I have the default - 'Obtain IP Auto' selected.

4. How is your laptop and player connected on the network? (ex. player -> switch -> laptop)
A: Laptop directly connected to SF-200 through ethernet cable

5. Are you trying to set this up locally or over the internet.
A: Locally

6. If all the settings are correct, try disabling any firewall/anti-virus protection temporarily to see it they are blocking the port. (default 20940)
A: Tried disabling the firewall and the SF-200 didn't show up in the Manage portion of the Suite software.

Having said this, I did "Disable" the DHCP on the device settings page. Once I did that, the grey zone patterns on the host screen disappeared. And left me with just the IP address and the resolution size. Was that suppose to happen?
Sergey K

Post by Sergey K »

ShawDavis,

Thanks for getting back to me with the answers.

The reason you can not communicate with the player is because the player and laptop are on 2 different networks (even though the player is plugged directly into the laptop). To setup the player properly on your network, refer to the Quick Start guide below:

http://www.noventri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=490

You will need to take the player and connect it to a wall jack using a network cable. Once the player boots up, you should see a different IP address on the screen (ex. 192.168.1.14). Next you will want to plug your laptop to a different wall jack that is part of the same network. Your laptop will automatically receive an IP address. (ex. 192.168.1.17).

Another option is to connect your laptop and player to a switch. To do so, connect one network cable from the wall jack to the switch, connect the laptop using a second network cable to the same switch, and finally connect the player using a last network cable to the same switch as well. This setup will allow you to get a DHCP address from the network and keep everything close together during testing.

At this point, open a web browser and type in the IP address displayed on the screen. This will bring you to the SF200 Configuration screen and allow you to make changes to the players settings. Looks for the Noventri Server text box and type in the IP address of your laptop followed by the port. (ex. 192.168.1.17:20940). You can leave DHCP enabled for most networks. This allows the player to get an IP address automatically like the laptop.

Once the Server address is entered, you should have the player appear in the Manage tab shortly after. If the player does not appear, make sure the USB drive is properly inserted into the player and your firewall is not blocking the port used by the player for communication (default: 20940).

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,
Sergey
ShawDavis
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ShawDavis »

Okay, here is where I am at. I still cannot get the SF-200 to show up in my Suite software. I can get into the SF-200 player and make changes. I can ping the 192.168.0.190 default IP address, but it is still not listed in my 'Manage' tab.

Some more information about us. The building I am in is 100 years old so my connection is wifi, no wall outlet for net. There is no traditional network here, so the laptop I am using becomes the communication for the device. But the laptop is connected to an 8 port switch then into the SF-200 from there. Everything works as it should, but I just can't get the player into the suite software. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Sergey K

Post by Sergey K »

ShawDavis,

Thank you for providing additional information about your configuration.

Given your unique network setup, this would be best handled with remote support session.
Please contact our Noventri Support team at 301-790-0103, we will be happy to provide you further assistance.

Kind Regards,
Sergey
ShawDavis
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ShawDavis »

Looks like it was a firewall issue and and after talking to tech support and adding the default port to 20940, everything lined up perfectly. Now I'm up and running! Thanks support!
Sergey K

Post by Sergey K »

Just to clarify, port 20940 (default) is added to the Windows Firewall upon installation of Noventri software. Depending on User Account Control or other Anti-Virus software, setting of this port maybe restricted, and will need to be added manually. We recommend adding port 20940 TCP/UDP for both, inbound and outbound traffic.

Kind Regards,
Sergey