Database Not Connecting

Using Excel,SQL,Oracle, and other ODBC Compliant Databases
clabedz
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Database Not Connecting

Post by clabedz »

I am running Noventri Suite on a x64 machine, but my 32-bit ODBC driver has the Test datbase avalable. I can click "connect" on the object and then select "use System ODBC". I select the database and everything looks like it worked. When I click the "Select" button to enter my query, I get a message on that window that says:
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

I have tried this a number of times, even after closing and reopening the suite. Can someone tell me what I can do to resolve this? Thank you.
Tim R
Noventri Digital Signage Expert

Re: Database Not Connecting

Post by Tim R »

Hello clabedz,

Can you please tell us what type of database you are trying to connect to? Also, what is the name of the 32 bit ODBC driver you are using?

Kind Regards,
Tim Rollins
Executive Director of Technology
Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
301-790-0103
Fax: 301-790-0173
http://www.noventri.com
clabedz
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Post by clabedz »

I am connecting to a SQL 2000 database on the network. The name of the database is called "TaktTime". What do you mean by name of the driver?

I am still getting the error today. At first it shows "success", but then it gives me the error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified.
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

Hello clabedz,

Thank you for providing that information. When using System ODBC make sure to choose "File Data Source". The alternative option "Machine Data Source" is not currently supported as it does not allow connections when the Suite project is sent to a different machine (which does not have the machine data source setup). A file data source is packaged and sent along with the Suite project as it travels across the network (allowing for network portability).

The easiest way for you to connect would be to use the built in ODBC Connect option in the Noventri Suite. You can do this by using the following steps:

1) Choose the "SQL Server" option from the "Driver" drop down. (If this option is not present, the driver can be downloaded from the Microsoft website)
2) Enter the SQL server's machine name or IP address.
3) Enter the Username for the SQL database
4) Enter the Password for the SQL database
5) Enter the Port in which the SQL database communicates on. (You can leave this blank if you are using the default port, which is most commonly the case)

Also, here is a link to a post describing connecting to a database that you may find useful:
http://www.noventri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=225

Please let us know if this resolves your issue.

Kind Regards,
Tim Rollins
Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
301-790-0103
clabedz
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Post by clabedz »

Tim R wrote:Hello clabedz,

Thank you for providing that information. When using System ODBC make sure to choose "File Data Source". The alternative option "Machine Data Source" is not currently supported as it does not allow connections when the Suite project is sent to a different machine (which does not have the machine data source setup). A file data source is packaged and sent along with the Suite project as it travels across the network (allowing for network portability).

The easiest way for you to connect would be to use the built in ODBC Connect option in the Noventri Suite. You can do this by using the following steps:

1) Choose the "SQL Server" option from the "Driver" drop down. (If this option is not present, the driver can be downloaded from the Microsoft website)
2) Enter the SQL server's machine name or IP address.
3) Enter the Username for the SQL database
4) Enter the Password for the SQL database
5) Enter the Port in which the SQL database communicates on. (You can leave this blank if you are using the default port, which is most commonly the case)

Please let us know if this resolves your issue.

Kind Regards,
Thank you. I was able to get data using the drop down and not the ODBC connection checkbox (machine data source), which I originally selected. However, is there a way to get all the data from the result set to display on the screen? Currently, it looks like I have to specify [1:1] [1:2] [1:3] and then list out each row separately. Is there no way to show all rows for the returned columns?

Thank you.
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

That is a good question! We have found that typically users prefer to map out their data on the screen to perfect the best look. This is why currently you would in fact have to specify [1:1] [1:2] [1:3].

However, there is a useful tool below that makes this process a little easier. You simply type in the number of columns/rows and it will dump out the formatters for you to copy and paste into the Noventri Suite.

http://www.noventri.com/forum/images/po ... es/def.php

For example, if I wanted to display the first 20 entries from column 1, I would type in 1 column and 20 rows. Often times find and replace in notepad is helpful for tweaking the output of this basic tool to change the number of return characters or the column numbers.

With that said, our primary focus has been stability and we do plan on making this portion of the software more user friendly in future versions.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
Tim Rollins
Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
301-790-0103
clabedz
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Post by clabedz »

Thanks for the tool. That was helpful, though I still need to work on how the data gets displayed properly.

I believe that takes care of all my database connection issues.