A few questions / suggestions

Using Excel,SQL,Oracle, and other ODBC Compliant Databases
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

A few questions / suggestions

Post by mark_anderson_us »

In the advanced query dialog, the query string needs to be way more than a single line of about 30 visible characters. It's very rare that a query will be a simple one liner (unles you make views for everything), so it would good to make it a much bigger multi-line area.

Ditto for the text box. I need to do [1:name]\t[2:name]\t[3:name]\t ... [30:name]\t. a much bigger editing area would be useful

I have a list I need to display and it will contain about 30 names (could be anywhere from 20-30). I really don't want to do [1:name]\n[2:name]\n repeat 28 more times. Isn't there a way to just use "name" and have it display all rows?

It also doesn't seem to support variable data. If I have [1:TempName]\t[2:TempName]\t[3:TempName]\t[4:TempName]\t[5:TempName]\n[6:TempName] and only have 5 names in the data set, I get "[6:TempName]" in place of the missing record. Anyway to prevent this?

I'd also like to display the names in table-like structure, with 5 columns per row:
[1:TempName]\t[2:TempName]\t[3:TempName]\t[4:TempName]\t[5:TempName]\n
[6:TempName]\t[7:TempName]\t[8:TempName]\t[9:TempName]\t[10:TempName]\n

Is there a way to set tabstops on the text region of have equal width columns so the names all align?

Regards

Mark
Trent S
Noventri Digital Signage Expert
Noventri Digital Signage Expert

Re: A few questions / suggestions

Post by Trent S »

Hello Mark,

The answers to your questions can be found below:
I have a list I need to display and it will contain about 30 names (could be anywhere from 20-30). I really don't want to do [1:name]\n[2:name]\n repeat 28 more times. Isn't there a way to just use "name" and have it dispay all rows?
There is not currently a way to automatically display all rows inside of a single region; however, you can use dynamic pages to cycle through all available information on multiple pages once you've made the first set of regions and formatters.
It also doesn't seem to support variable data. If I have [1:TempName]\t[2:TempName]\t[3:TempName]\t[4:TempName]\t[5:TempName]\n[6:TempName] and only have 5 names in the data set, I get "[6:TempName]" in place of the missing record. Anyway to prevent this?
While inside of Noventri Suite, the empty "[6:TempName]" will appear, it should not appear once the content is playing on an SF-100e Digital Signage Player. Noventri Suite simply displays the empty records so that you know there is a formatter there.
Is there a way to set tabstops on the text region of have equal width columns so the names all align?
When trying to align several columns of information, we generally suggest that you make a region inside of Noventri Suite for each column. For example, you would make a tall and narrow region that would be purely for displaying your first column (it would contain [1:TempName]\n[6:TempName]) etc. Once you have the first region set up, you can copy/paste and adjust the positioning and formatters for subsequent columns of information - then just make sure all the queries are the same. While tab stops are not currently available, this will ensure that all columns are lined up properly.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Kind Regards,
Trent Semler
Art Director
Specialized Communications Corp. / Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
301-790-0103
Digital Information Display
Menu Display
Flight Board
icevault
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by icevault »

It would be helpful if there was a way to select multiple text fields and set the size an alignment for all of them collectively as well as set an alignment. As you suggest, I can set up one field for product name and the next field for price. I want to align each of these columns as well as set the size for field to match.
Sergey K

Post by Sergey K »

Hello icevault,

We have added the ability to select multiple regions in the latest version of Noventri Suite. Click on a region in the page, then ctrl-click any additional regions to add them to the selection. Once all the desired regions are grouped together, you can use your mouse or keyboard arrow keys to move all the regions at once. Future versions of Noventri Suite will allow you to change region properties as well, making this process even easier.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Kind Regards,
Sergey