Problems Displaying Dynamic Page Image Content

Working with Text Files, Image Lists and more.
LXSooshi
Forum User
Forum User

Problems Displaying Dynamic Page Image Content

Post by LXSooshi »

Hello experts,

We are using several Noventri players to display manufacturing data.

We currently have the systems set up to link to a .xls file that is pointing to a location on our server where we have stored .PNG files. We are using the dynamic content option to display each image on a separate page. I am able to correctly see the desired images loaded when I am working on the design tab, which seems to indicate that all the paths are set up correctly. I am also able to successfully see the separate pages when I create a sequence for display. However, as soon as I publish the design to the server and attempt to schedule the sequence to the player, all I am getting is the blank background.

I have a few other machines running the exact same setups and they seem to work fine.

We also have some issues where if we replace the image files in our folder, there is a huge lag and inconsistency in the update of the players. Sometimes the player will recognize all of the content and display it correctly. Other times it will retain old files and display them. Other times it will display blank formats. I have made sure to double check that the "Migrate image content on publish" box is unchecked, and have also set the refresh time for the database file to 1 minute, but I have varying results. It also does not help to reboot the player.

If you have any suggestions for these issues, the help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Sergey K

Re: Problems Displaying Dynamic Page Image Content

Post by Sergey K »

Hello Alex,

Linking an image over the network can be a little more involved then connecting to one on the local server. To determine if the Noventri Server pc can access the shared image, check if a user has been authenticated access first. Using Windows Explorer on the Noventri Server pc, navigate to the image you will be using. You will need to check if you can access the .xls file as well if it is not local to the server. Mapped network drives (x:drive) are not very reliable as they do not always connect properly, we always recommend connecting using a UNC path (ex. \\server\shared_folder\noventri\data.xls instead of x:\noventri\data.xls). If you are prompted to login, use your login credentials. Remember to check the "remember me" checkbox, otherwise you will need to login again if the computer is rebooted for any reason. This should give you access to the image on the remote pc. If the image can be opened and viewed, we are ready to proceed to the next step.

Images that are not local to the server (use a unc path) require the Noventri Service Manager to run as a user instead of the default SYSTEM account. To configure this, open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and locate the "Noventri Service Manager" service. Right-click on the service and select Properties, click the Log On tab at the top, select the "This account" radio button, and fill in a username/password that has access to the shared image. Click the ok button after you type in the account credentials. If everything goes well, you will be prompted to restart the service for the new login to take effect. In the Services panel, right-click the "Noventri Service Manager" and choose Restart. Once the service status returns to Running, we are all finished.

If running the Noventri Service Manager as a user is not an option, the image can be moved to the server pc making them local and will not require any changes to the service. Users would now need to have access to a shared folder on the server pc to change out the image.

Every project will be slightly different and publish/playback time will be determined by the number of pages and content is has. Check to see if "Secure Socket Mode" and "Decompress Content" is enabled. If they are, disabling them will decrease publish times and get the content playing in about 1/3 of the time. It is also important to keep im mind that by publishing repeatedly to the player will stacks up a new publish behind the last publish. This results in a longer wait time for the project to get to the player.

If the above information does not provide an answer for you, please feel free to contact our support department (support@noventri.com) so they can further assist you. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,
Sergey
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Post by mark_anderson_us »

I have a similar problem with out visitor board. When there are no visitors, the SQL query returns 6 images paths and names and it cycles through all of these. Was working fine for months, then a few weeks ago it stopped working. For some reason, changing from png to jpg seemed to solve it. This morning, the jpg's don't work either. I see them fine in design tab (with unc path). The service is running as a user that has permissions to get to the share. I'm on ver. 2.6.20.1682ga_2.6

I've turned off secure sockets and decompress and rebooted player
Sergey K

Post by Sergey K »

Hello Mark,

Looking over your post everything seems to be setup correctly. We would need to take a closer look at the project to see where the problem is. Please contact our support department at support@noventri.com or call us at (301) 790-0103 so we can further assist you.

Best Regards,
Sergey
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Post by mark_anderson_us »

For some reason its working again. opened the excel and saved again. The project hasn't changed and the excel wasn't changed.