Details on resolution options

blessingscm
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Details on resolution options

Post by blessingscm »

We've just recently purchased our first SF-100e and as I'm beginning to create content for it I'm trying to determine what the various resolution options mean and I haven't found and documentation that helps me understand the options completely.

What I know so far:
- I know I need to choose a resolution which suits my display. We'll be using HD TVs (we haven't decided on 1080 or 720 yet) so I know I need to select one of the 1280x720 or 1920x1080 resolution options.
- On the 720 side there are 6 options:1280x720 TRUE COLOR, 1280x720 TRUE COLOR VGA ONLY, 1280x720 TRUE COLOR DVI ONLY, 1280x768 SCODEC, 1280x720 SCODEC DVI ONLY, 1280x720 SCODEC VGA ONLY.
- On the 1080 side there are 2 options: 1920x1080 SCODEC, 1920x1080 SCODEC DVI ONLY.

Questions:
- What's the difference between the DVI ONLY, VGA ONLY and no restriction settings and why would I choose one over the other?
- It's my understanding that the SCODEC options are compressed but there's no TRUE COLOR option for the 1080 resolution, why is this and can I expect this in a future firmware/software update?
- If I design a project in a 1080 resolution (to provide the best quality) with the SF-100e be able to downsample it for a 720 display?
Sergey K

Re: Details on resolution options

Post by Sergey K »

Hello blessingscm,

It's important to choose the correct resolution so that the content shows up properly. Today, there are many different types of monitors and tv's available. Monitors are typically labeled with resolutions like 1280x720 or 1920x1080, while home theater tv's are labeled as 720p or 1080i. The difference between the two is the timing model they use. We have the option to select different timings in our software depending on what type of display you are using.

The user selectable resolution are not monitor specific. If you choose to use the 1920x1080 SCODEC resolution on your monitor and everything displays correctly, the that resolution is compatible with your display, if you find the image on the screen is skewed, or blinking or starts to pan over time, you should try another resolution (in this case the 1920x1080 SCODEC DVI ONLY).

To answer your questions...
1. The difference is in the timing for certain displays out there, if ones does not work, trying another one should get everything to show up properly.
2. We do not offer a 1920x1080 in True Color, but we continue to add features and fixes with every release of the Noventri Suite. As the resolution goes up we recommend using the SCODEC to allow for faster rotation speeds during playback.
3. Yes, creating a project in 1920x1080 will give you the best picture quality for your display. The SF-100e WILL always display at the resolution the player is set to. If a project was created in 1920x1080 but the player is configured for 1280x720, the player will scale the pictures down to 720. Make sure the aspect ratio is kept the same or the output will be letter-boxed with black bars across the top, bottom, or sides.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.