Updating external text files - about to pull trigger

Working with Text Files, Image Lists and more.
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Updating external text files - about to pull trigger

Post by mark_anderson_us »

Hi All

I'm finalising testing (and about to pull the trigger) with Noventri for an application that will get data from external CSV and Excel files (using ODBC driver for latter). Running the sequence in the client had a few issues with updating (I'm hoping this is just becuae of the way suite works and it will be fine in the player). I also have a question about how external files work with the SF-100

I would update the CSV file, but it never updated in the running sequence in suite - will this work OK on the player? Anyone actually doing it?

If I opened the file in the editor and came back to suite, there would be an error (presumably because the file was still open). Is this recommended, or should I edit the files somewhere else and then just copy to the network share (and replace existing copy)?

When I publish my project to the server and then schedule it, do the Excel/csv files get published or does it use the original UNC path?

How often does the player look for updates in these files? Is it every time the page loads or on a fixed interval? If it's on page load. What happens if the same page is displayed all day and never reloads: how will the display be updated if a new file is copied to the server?

I have to say I'm very impressed with the software. I looked about 7 or 8 solutions and no-one had anything as comprehensive as Noventri without going to real expensive enterprise solutions (and it looks like noventri will do most of what those do too).

Thanks in advanced

Mark
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Updating external text files - about to pull trigger

One more question that occured to me on way to office: would any of this work in multi-site setups without something like VPN? For example, is there a way for content to be updated and the server publish it out?
Trent S
Noventri Digital Signage Expert

Post by Trent S »

Hello mark_anderson_us,

You can find the answers to your questions below:
I would update the CSV file, but it never updated in the running sequence in suite - will this work OK on the player? Anyone actually doing it?
Databasing is actually made for playback on an SF-100e Digital Signage Player, and has limited functionality inside of Noventri Suite.
If I opened the file in the editor and came back to suite, there would be an error (presumably because the file was still open). Is this recommended, or should I edit the files somewhere else and then just copy to the network share (and replace existing copy)?
If you need to make changes to the file, and you are editing it in a speadsheet software (Excel or Calc), you can share the document to make the errors in Suite go away. The alternative that you mentioned works fine, as well - simply overwrite the old version of the file when you're ready to save updates.
When I publish my project to the server and then schedule it, do the Excel/csv files get published or does it use the original UNC path?
Your project will continue using the UNC path once it has been published to a player; it will not make copies of its own.
How often does the player look for updates in these files? Is it every time the page loads or on a fixed interval? If it's on page load. What happens if the same page is displayed all day and never reloads: how will the display be updated if a new file is copied to the server?
For ODBC databases, the update is controlled by the "Update Interval" setting in the Advanced tab of you databased regions in Noventri Suite. This defaults to 15 minutes, but can be set as low as 1 minute. The player will check for changes in the file (and run the associated query) every time it reaches the update interval.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Kind Regards,
Trent Semler
Art Director
Specialized Communications Corp. / Noventri
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
301-790-0103
Digital Information Display
Menu Display
Flight Board
Trent S

Post by Trent S »

Hello mark_anderson_us,

Regarding your second question:
..would any of this work in multi-site setups without something like VPN? For example, is there a way for content to be updated and the server publish it out?
The server publishing out all updates to players in various locations is actually what our product was made for.

While a few of our customers choose to use VPN / VNC / Teamviewer and other remote control solutions, the majority of our customers are updating players in various buildings / locations just through our software. SF-100e Digital Signage Players can be configured to point at a central server anywhere in the world - they simply need to be allowed to do so (have network connectivity). Several of our customers already have players in various locations that are controlled from a central location.

The answer is Yes - multi-site setups can and are being done without remote desktop software, and I would be happy to provide you with more detail if you are interested.

Kind Regards,
Trent Semler
Art Director
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
301-790-0103
Menu Display
Flight Board
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Trent

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but wnated to make sure there wasn't a feature or some magic I was missing

If I need data from a DB, Text file, ODBC source, the only way it would work would be to have some kind of VPN connection so that the remote players can still get to the UNC/SQL server. I'm guessing there's no way around this.

Regards

Mark
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Hi Trent

I think this is the only unanswered question. If I'm using a CSV file (NOT via ODBC), how do you control how often the player looks for new content?
Trent S

Post by Trent S »

Hello Mark,
If I'm using a CSV file (NOT via ODBC), how do you control how often the player looks for new content?
When using DataText (not ODBC), the players update the content whenever the source file changes. There is no "Update Interval" equivalent with DataText.

Kind Regards,
Trent Semler
Art Director
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
301-790-0103
Menu Display
Flight Board
Trent S

Post by Trent S »

Hello Mark,
If I need data from a DB, Text file, ODBC source, the only way it would work would be to have some kind of VPN connection so that the remote players can still get to the UNC/SQL server. I'm guessing there's no way around this.
The only system that needs access to your database is the system that you will be installing Noventri Server on. The remote players will be connecting to the Server computer for their updates.

It really depends on how you will be setting up your network, but VPN should not be required unless you prefer that it is. How were you planning on using VPN?

Kind Regards,
Trent Semler
Art Director
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
301-790-0103
Menu Display
Flight Board
mark_anderson_us
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Hi Trent

If my text field is a datatext field or a database field, the remote players won't be able to access it unless they have network ascess to the site where the data is stored, will they? Unless, i'm missign something: like the server is executing the queries on behalf of the players. Maybe I could arrange a call with someone tomorrow, as I need to finalize the proposal this week
Trent S

Post by Trent S »

Hello Mark,

The Server is in fact executing the queries, and sending the results to the players. So long as your server computer (PC with Noventri Server installed on it) has access to your database, the players will get their updates.

You are welcome to call in and speak with someone here tomorrow if you have further questions.

Kind Regards,

Trent
Trent Semler
Art Director
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
301-790-0103
Menu Display
Flight Board