Cannot Locate SPF File

clabedz
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Cannot Locate SPF File

Post by clabedz »

Greetings. I built a number of pages and set them in a sequence, prior to getting an SF-200 on site. In the last week, I had problems with my computer and had to perform a system restore. In my experience, running a system restore does not modify files.

Before running the restore, I copied the Noventri folder with my project, but now the folders are there, along with pg, png, and sch files, but there is no spf file either in my original Noventri directory or the copied one.

I am not finding a way to copy my pages into a new project. Is this possible??? Thank you.
Sergey K

Re: Cannot Locate SPF File

Post by Sergey K »

Hello clabedz,

Sorry to hear you have lost some of your project after a system restore. Most of the time, a system restore will not delete files. The process is used to set the computer back to a previous state, and even though you made a backup, it possible that during the restore, some of the files were deleted while setting the computer back to its last restore point. As there seems to be no turning back now, there may still be a chance to rebuild your project.

There is no guarantee, but its worth a try...
  • 1. Create a new project and save it in a new location. Use a different filename from your last project to make this process easier.
    2. Make sure you select the same resolution and orientation as the last project.
    3. Your project will have a single page called "Page001" when you begin. You will need to add additional pages to the project to equal the number of pages from your last project.
    4. Next you will need to rename all of your pages (the Page001, Page002, Page003) to be identical with the page names of your last project.
    5. You can look at the pages inside the old project folder if you need to remember the names. (Again, they must be exact case match)
    6. Once all the pages are renamed, you will need to create a simple sequence. Again, if the sequence name was changed from the default "Sequence01", this will need to be changed to match the old name.
    7. As this point, save the project and close out the Noventri Suite application.
As this point we will try to merge the old project files with the newly created project.
  • 1. With Noventri Suite still closed. Open the old project folder.
    2. Open the newly created project folder in a separate window.
    3. Check over the files inside both folders. If you see any font files or .png files in your old project folder, skip over them, you will not need these.
    4. Copy the remaining files (the "Media" folder and .pg files) and paste them into the new project folder.
    5. Windows will ask you to overwrite all the files at this time.
    6. Select the "Move and Replace" option to replace the blank pages you created in the new project with pages from your old project.
You should now have the pages and the media folder merged into the new project. If everything went well and all the files were correctly renamed, the new project should open with all the pages from your old project.

I hope the above steps were easy to follow. If you find anything unclear, let me know, I will be happy to assist you further.

Kind Regards,
Sergey
clabedz
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Post by clabedz »

That was fantastic! Relatively easy with only 8 pages, but saved me a lot of time. Thank you so much for your help.
clabedz
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Post by clabedz »

Greetings. I wanted to update this ticket because I just encountered the same problem again...

I performed a system restore today and when I went to load an SPF file, it was no longer in the directory. It happened to be the file I was using last in Noventri prior to the system restore. Some of them are still there, but not the one I need.

I am going to have to try running through the suggested steps again, but I wanted to report the issue that it happened again. Why does a restore cause that file to "disappear"?

I suppose I'm not necessarily looking for an answer, but if someone gets bored, they can experiment with this : )

Thanks,
c
Sergey K

Post by Sergey K »

Hello clabedz,

I was doing a little more investigating on this topic. Im curious, what directory were your project files store in?

I found some documentation on System Restore on Microsoft's website below.

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_system_restore_hss_understand.mspx?mfr=true

They say the following:

"System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder."

So if the project was stored anywhere else besides the My Documents folder, its possible they were deleted as part of the restore process.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
Sergey