CSV vs. XLS

Using Excel,SQL,Oracle, and other ODBC Compliant Databases
isliplib
Forum User
Forum User

CSV vs. XLS

Post by isliplib »

Hi,
I am using the Noventri Suite 2.12.21.2541r_2.12 with the Eco 200 and it is displaying images and videos and importing powerpoint, etc.

This morning I am attempting to grab some information from our inhouse calendar via Python and saving the data to the Noventri server as a CSV.

I have:

TIME, TIME, TIME
ROOM, ROOM, ROOM
DESC., DESC., DESC.

If I check database and Data Text and then select the .csv and then in the text area do this:

[1:1]\t[2:1]\t[3:1]\n\n[1:2]\t[2:2]\t[3:2]\n\n[1:3]\t[2:3]\t[3:3]

Everything displays. (Although, I can't figure out how to align the columns or how it would refresh after updating each day.)

When I try and use the ODBC driver so that it will re-read the DB - things don't work so well. I can select the Microsoft Text driver and the proper table, but when I try and select the table, nothing displays.

What have I missed?

Regards,

Lou
Sergey K

Re: CSV vs. XLS

Post by Sergey K »

Hello Lou,

Formatting your data to line up properly is best done using multiple vertical text regions representing each column.

You can see a good example in this forum post: http://www.noventri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=564

As for the driver issue, we suggest you download Microsoft's Access Database Engine driver. This driver will add a few additional drivers to your database connection dialog drop-down list.

REMEMBER: you will need to reselect the correct driver once they are installed. The new drivers are added to the list, not replaced.
This post covers the install of the new driver for excel: http://www.noventri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=486

I suggest using the DataText option (as this is already working for you) and having your Python script update the CSV file by setting it to run on an interval you choose. This will allow your data to update right after the output CSV files is created.

You can also refer to this guide for setting up your DataText / ODBC projects: http://www.noventri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=225

Please let me know if you would like me to clarify anything, or if you have any additional questions.

Kind Regards,
Sergey
isliplib
Forum User
Forum User

Post by isliplib »

The column format was a really good idea - it's not perfect, but the room size and time and program description will change daily, so it doesn't need to be perfect. We were actually thinking of limiting the room listing to the room nearest the display.

If I use the DataText option and set up a scheduled job to run every hour to update the CSV - will the software notice the change to the file the next time that screen is displayed?

(and thank you :)
Sergey K

Post by Sergey K »

Hello Lou,

I'm glad I could help. Here is another great tip to better align your text inside the regions. Select your text region, go to the Properties panel on the left, select the Positioning tab, them click the top-left box of the Content cube. This will make all your text in the region top-left aligned. Hope this helps!
If I use the DataText option and set up a scheduled job to run every hour to update the CSV - will the software notice the change to the file the next time that screen is displayed?
That is correct, once the CSV file is updated by your script, the next time the page is shown, it will display new data.

Please let me know if I can assist you further with anything.

Kind Regards,
Sergey